Managing your name and data

This section is for members of the UC Berkeley community who wish to have a lived name used in campus systems for display and/or use by university staff. With the implementation of the GRLN policy, your lived name should be displayed and used across all university systems and documents unless a legal name is required. Please note that UC Berkeley is in the process of implementing the GRLN policy and not all systems have reached full compliance. 

Names are collected and updated in several main systems that flow to most other campus systems. Please see below for instructions on updating your name in these systems to the name you wish to be used and displayed when interacting with others on campus. Depending on which systems you update your name in, your lived name may be visible to those who you have given access to view your university records such as tuition & fees.

Changing or updating my name

Please review all steps below. Some people may need to complete more than one of the steps below to update a lived name across all systems they are in. (E.g. a student worker will need to update their name in CalNet, CalCentral, and UCPath.)

Changing my lived name in university systems

Your campus affiliation

University systems

Where your lived name will be displayed once changed

How to change your lived name in this system

All current students, faculty, staff

CalNet Directory

Campus Directory, bConnected Google & Box accounts

Go to the Campus Directory and click the “Update your listing” button. Log in and select “Edit Person Information” to update your lived name.

Note: Your lived name will be publicly visible on the campus directory. Students may request for directory information to be private. Staff and Faculty names are public information and thus must be listed in the directory.

All current students, faculty, staff


Most eTang features and UHS use (*some features still utilize legal name)

How to Edit Lived Name, Pronouns, and Gender Identity in eTang



Class rosters, Cal 1 Card, most campus systems with student information (*some systems may need to utilize legal name)

Log in to your CalCentral. Click on your name in the top right corner and select “Profile”, “Edit Profile”, “Personal Details”, and “Preferred” to update your lived name. 

Employees (faculty, staff, and student employees)


Some UCPath features; staff/faculty Cal 1 Card, most campus systems with employee information (*some systems may need to utilize legal name) 

Log in to your UCPath account. On the left side of the screen, select “Employee Actions”, then “Personal Information”. Click through the options to make any changes.


CalNet Directory

bConnected Google & Box accounts

Go to the Campus Directory and click the “Update your listing” button.

Changing my legal name

Some documents and business processes that may require the use of a legal name include financial aid, payroll documents, tax documents, bills for payment, or medical identification and records.

How to update your legal name with the university:

  • Students - Update your legal name with the Office of the Registrar
  • Employees - Log into UCPath, find the "Personal Information” menu, and edit your legal name under "Legal/Preferred Name". You may be required to send proof of the name change to Human Resources. US Employees: All legal name changes must match the name on your social security card.

Changing your legal name in California:

Resources for help getting a legal name change: