Transgender and Nonbinary Empowerment Month 2023
November is Transgender and Nonbinary Empowerment Month, which also encompasses Trans Awareness Week and Trans Day of Remembrance
To our transgender and nonbinary community members: Your joy, knowledge, and multidimensional experiences add vibrance to our Berkeley community and we celebrate you. Your presence and contributions inspire and motivate us to create an environment where everyone feels valued and secure, however they identify. This month, by focusing on empowerment, we center the many ways that trans and nonbinary communities love, uplift, heal, and fight for a future of liberation and justice
Learn about the Gender Recognition and Lived Name Policy (GRLN) background, scope, and summary.
The Trans Futures Manifesto, authored by undergraduate X Vazquez, envisions a future that ensures protection and prosperity for Trans and gender expansive individuals.
Resources, Advocacy Groups, and Support Networks
- Inclusive Restrooms Map (new!)
- Gender Recognition and Lived Name Policy
- Accessing Trans and Nonbinary Inclusive Health Care at the UHS Tang Center
- Recreation & Wellbeing Universal Locker Room
- Transition Care Intake Form (new!)
Advocacy Groups and Support Networks
Gender Equity Resource Center (GenEq): Serves as UC Berkeley's inclusive campus hub around gender and sexuality, offering resources, support, educational programs, and leadership initiatives for students, faculty, staff, and alumni to foster a welcoming and inclusive Cal experience.
Trans Student Wellness Initiative: A student-led and community-centered initiative supported by GenEq and the Multicultural Community Center that aims to support the holistic wellness and retention of trans and nonbinary students at UC Berkeley through community building events, resource distribution, and advocacy.
Queer Alliance Resource Center (QARC): A student-run organization in charge of providing social, educational, and safe sex programming for the queer and trans community on campus, and also acts as an umbrella organization for all active queer/trans student organizations on campus. QARC is one of the oldest student orgs on campus and one of the oldest queer student orgs across the country, and are at the forefront of this movement, fostering a culture of acceptance and celebration.
Transgender Students at Cal (T-Cal): Student organization providing a vital platform for transgender and nonbinary students, offering a supportive network and resources for navigating campus life. The organization actively promotes awareness and understanding of transgender experiences and challenges.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Advocacy Project (SOGA): A Graduate Assembly Project that seeks to improve the lives and experiences of queer and gender-diverse graduate students at UC Berkeley, led by the SOGA and Trans & Gender Diverse Advocacy Project Directors who serve as advocates to address specific needs and concerns of the community to ensure their success in higher education and beyond.
LavenderCal: A crucial network for LGBTQ+ faculty and staff, fostering a supportive and affirming workplace environment. Through various initiatives and events, it champions inclusivity and diversity within the UC Berkeley community.
- Chancellor's Advisory Committee on LGBTQ+ Communities at Cal: A committee advocating for an inclusive and affirming environment for LGBTQ+ individuals at UC Berkeley. The committee has actively engaged in initiatives, policy reviews, and community concerns, driving significant positive change for LGBTQ+ staff, faculty, and students.