Chicanx Latinx Standing Committee
The Chicanx/Latinx Standing Committee (CLSC) is designed to be a permanent collective of students, staff, faculty & alumni, charged with providing oversight, support, and integration to all matters pertaining to our growing and thriving Chicanx/Latinx community on campus. The CLSC was formed in the Fall 2019 Semester under the executive sponsorship of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion (VCEI). As such, it informs and advises the Chancellor’s Cabinet, which includes the Chancellor and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (EVCP), about specific and cross-cutting ideas, issues, and initiatives involving campus equity, diversity, inclusion, and engagement, and particularly how they impact the Chicanx/Latinx community.
- Prioritize the recommendations of the Chicanx Latinx Task Force 2016-2017 Report and update as needed.
- Convene sub-committees (i.e., student, staff, faculty & alumni constituencies), serve on ad hoc committees as needed to advance the implementation of recommendations.
- Synthesize and provide input from the Chicanx/Latinx , as well as advice and recommendations, to the Chancellor's Cabinet on issues impacting Chicanx-Latinx students, staff, faculty, and alumni.
- Develop and propose new charge ideas and initiatives.
- Provide greater collaboration and cohesion amongst Latinx-focused and related entities on campus to promote synergy and to mitigate duplication of efforts.
- Provide input and support to the Hispanic Serving Institutions Task Force and report.
Spring 2023 Committee Members
- Dania Matos, Vice Chancellor for Equity & Inclusion; Executive Sponsor
- Christian Paiz, Co-chair and Professor, Department of Ethnic Studies;
- Lupe Gallegos-Diaz, Co-chair, Director of Chicanx Latinx Student Development, and lecturer in Chicanx Latinx Studies in the Deptartment of Ethnic Studies
- Yvette Flores, Executive Director and Chief of Staff, Center for Educational Partnerships
- R. Harumi Quinones-Austria, Director of Student Services, Department of Psychology
- Miguel Samano, Doctoral student in the English Department
- Michael Trevino, Alumnus; East Bay Chapter of UCB Chicanx Latinx Alumni Association
- Jessica Mena Flores, Undocumented Graduated Student Specialist, Gradate Division
- Arlyn Moreno Luna, Doctoral student in the School of Education
- Cristina Mendez, Doctoral student in the School of Education
- Norma Garcia, Undergraduate student representative
- Maria Montoya, Undergraduate student representative
- Margarita Landeros, President of UCB Chicanx Latinx Alumni Association
Contact the Co-chairs with questions:
CLSC met bi-weekly over FY20 & 21, a total of 60 service hours. During this time, CLSC completed several goals in support of its charge. Our first deliverable was to prioritize recommendations of the Chicanx-Latinx Task Force report:
Advocate for a Chicanx Latinx student center.
Increase representation of Chicanx Latinx faculty and staff in administrative leadership positions across campus.
Promote the creation of faculty & staff equity-oriented teaching & mentorship programs.
Support implementation efforts for becoming a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
Form a coalition of Chicanx/Latinx community to formalize the CLSC membership process and procedures for carrying out the committee’s charge.
In support of these recommendations, the committee also submitted two sets of specific action and resource requests to address the discriminatory practice of using standardized tests in UC admissions.